Usually, people know when they’re having a medical emergency. However, some patients can have a difficult time recognizing dental emergencies and knowing when care is necessary. At Trinity Family Dentistry, we want to help our patients notice the signs of an emergency and get the care they need. Here are a few things to keep in mind about dental emergencies and how we can help:
What Is a Dental Emergency?
If your mouth is in pain and you can’t treat it on your own, this is considered an emergency. Since this is a broad definition, many different situations can fall into the category of an emergency. The following are some common cases that require immediate attention:
- Teeth that have been knocked out
- Past dental work that is loose or has fallen out
- Excessive bleeding
- Intense pain
If you’re experiencing any of these situations, you can call us to schedule a same-day appointment at (619) 469-4144.
What to Do in a Dental Emergency
The most important thing you can do in a dental emergency is to remain calm and call us right away. Our team can coach you through your injury and determine whether or not you need to see Dr. Shen immediately.
There are steps you can take at home before you come in for treatment to help make you feel more comfortable and ensure a full recovery:
- If your tooth has been knocked out, rinse it gently, store it in a container of milk or your own saliva, and bring it with you to your appointment at Trinity Family Dentistry.
- To relieve pain before your appointment, place an ice pack on the side of your face near the affected area.
- Take an anti-inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen, to help mitigate pain.
- Come into our conveniently located office at 5308 Lake Murray Blvd. Ste. E, La Mesa, CA 91942 for compassionate emergency care.
Emergency Care at Trinity Family Dentistry
Our team is committed to providing compassionate care for patients in La Mesa. To keep quality emergency care affordable, we offer $35 emergency exams that include all necessary x-rays. We also offer same-day appointments, and our team will try to get you in for your visit as soon as possible. Call us now at (619) 469-4144 or visit our office if you are in pain. If you are an existing patient and your emergency happens after hours, you can call Dr. Shen on his cell phone and he’ll talk you through what steps you should take.